Home renovations can be both fun and rewarding, and like any job there are some tricks of the trade that any DIYer should know.
Whether you are embarking on a floor sanding project, or painting the entire house, the following tips are bound to make your home renovation challenge easier and maybe even cheaper!
1. If you have squeaky floorboards or doors around the house, use talcum powder in between the timber and on hinges for a short-term fix.
2. Painting can be a messy job, and if you happen to get some on your skin, using baby oil will help remove it.
3. Wiping linseed oil over stubborn paint stains on surfaces around the house will help remove them.
4. To reduce the smell of strong paint, add a couple of teaspoons of vanilla essence to every two litres of paint.
5. To keep paint fresh and in quality condition in between painting, add a few tablespoons of methylated spirits. Reseal the can and do not stir until you require the paint again.
6. If you have a dripping tap that is driving you crazy, for a short term solution you can solve the problem with some dental floss. Tie the floss around the tap and put the other end of the string down the drain - this will stop the dripping as the water will stream down the floss instead.
7. In between painting jobs, you can keep brushes tightly wrapped in cling wrap - saving you water in the process.