The Victorian government has a launched a new initiative aimed at boosting workplace safety among tradesmen working on housing construction sites across the state.
Introducing the Operation SafeSite scheme last week (August 10), state assistant treasurer Gordon Rich-Phillips said the 12-month campaign would see inspectors visit sites across the state to highlight the importance of workplace safety.
"Safety on a fast-paced construction site doesn't just happen. It requires good planning, effective supervision and constant supervision and constant attention by everyone on the site," Mr Rich-Phillips explained.
"Site visits will focus on basic safety planning, site supervision, prevention of falls from heights, electrical safety, site housekeeping and onsite worker facilities."
Over the next year WorkCover inspectors will visit housing construction sites across the state starting in Melbourne's south-east, with the scheme then rolling out to regional areas.
Workplace safety practises will be scrutinised through the Operation SafeSite, as well as relevant documentation including safety co-ordination plans and safe work method statements.
Mr Rich-Phillips said workplace accidents in Victoria last year cost the sector $17 million in wages, medical costs and other expenses.